Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rosenthal Named Region Finalist

Claudia Rosenthal '08, '14 MM
Claudia Rosenthal '08 '14 MM, an Edgemont native, was selected this month as a finalist for the Metropolitan Opera National Council-Eastern Region Competition.

The Council's purpose is to recognize exceptional talent, provide a venue for outstanding young performers and identify future talent for the Metropolitan Opera. It also assists in the development of their careers.

The 11 Region finalists will compete in mid-January. Region winners will compete nationally to earn a chance to compete at the Grand Finals concert in March in New York. Finalists will be accompanied by the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. The concert will be broadcast nationally over the Met's radio network. Five Grand winners will share prizes.

In the upcoming Region competition, Rosenthal will sing selections from Mozart, Puccini, and Stravinsky.

The Opera Council reports that opera legends Renee Fleming, Jessye Norman, Frederica von Stade and others received awards from the National Council and were identified in similar competitions as talent worth developing.

Rosenthal, a soprano, sang a tribute to Yale president Peter Salovey '86 Ph.d. at his Oct., 2013, inauguration in Woolsey Hall.  She was accompanied by the Yale Symphony Orchestra and the Yale Glee Club. In New Haven, she majored in both art history and music and participated in Yale Opera.

"I have always loved singing and performing," she said in a recent interview with the Council.  "But I wasn't completely sure this would be my career until I went to college. Yale has a completely undergraduate-run opera company. At the time, they were producing three operas a year! And I jumped head first into their productions my freshman year."

Rosenthal said, "I grew up listening to Cole Porter classics, so I'm a huge fan of Eartha Kitt. I also love oldies radio stations. I do listen to current music, of course, but I think the saying is true:  They don't make popular music like they used to."

"As the years at Yale went on," she added, "I realized how much I loved being on stage."

No comments:

Post a Comment